Some observations as we head to the final race to set the field for the 2011 Sprint Cup Series Chase for the Sprint Cup:
- How about that battle between Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson in the final laps at Atlanta. For the first time in a long time, I saw the old Gordon show up. Gordon wanted it more and let everything hang out. The student has out dueled the master for a long time, but on Tuesday the master showed the student how it was done.
- Saturday night might be the most fun we have had in the last race to qualify for the Chase that we have ever seen. With all the different scenarios that could occur and the wild cards, who knows what is going to happen. After the final field is set, next week we will revisit my predictions from weeks ago on how well my predictions worked out.
- There are two drivers already locked into the Chase I feel do not have the momentum going into the Chase to be serious contenders to capture the Cup. I just have not seen enough consistency from Kevin Harvick and Ryan Newman to say they are going to be big contenders to win it all. We never know what it is going to happen and I can be completely wrong, but that is my thought.
- How about NASCAR racing returning to Rockingham next year with the Camping World Truck Series? Got to love that one of the old tracks is going back on the schedule. We can only hope that the fans will show up, and then the Nationwide Series will be added back. Then we can focus on getting the big boys back on the classic track.
- Points battle is heating up in the IZOD IndyCar Series. Will Power is now nipping at the feet of Dario Franchitti. Only two races to go before we get to the final race at Las Vegas. The points battle will be interesting to watch, including the final. Would not be surprised to see Franchitti hold on to capture the championship again.
- Clint Bowyer will make sure Juan Pablo Montoya does finish the race Saturday night at Richmond.
I personally cannot wait for the race on Saturday night to see what happens and to get the Chase field set. Once the Chase field is set, we will provide stats next week on the Chase field. We will also be bringing you information directly from Chicagoland Speedway next week. Have a great rest of the week.